In healthcare communications, key messages can do social good. See how our GLOBALHealthPR Mexico partner, PRP, is playing its part by promoting conservation, public health and the client all in one.
Water is a limited resource that is continuously stretched to meet increasing global demand. The water we consume today is the same water that we will have in 2050. Taking control of the situation becomes something vital. Nowadays every little action towards water protection and conservation adds up to a common goal: assure water for future generations.
Mexico is among nations that are facing a rapidly diminishing supply of fresh water. According to Juan Javier Carrillo, member of the Water Net (Red del Agua) from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), in 2050 Mexico will have less than one-third the amount of fresh water per capita that it has today. As healthcare public relations professionals, we have the responsibility to increase the public’s awareness and understanding of some of the key health issues they face today. Conservation and protection of water and its relationship to public health are examples of these key issues.
At PRP we handle strategic communications for Rotoplas, a Mexican company that provides integrated solutions in storage, handling and improvement of water in order to prioritize water conservation. Together via editorials and other communications tactics, we emphasize the role of education in boosting awareness of water management issues, as well as health benefits of drinking water.
Raising awareness of the importance of drinking safe water…
- Prevents gastrointestinal diseases.
- Prevents dehydration.
- Helps digestion and prevents constipation.
- Helps prevent diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity and kidney issues.
Tips for safe water consumption…
- Drink at least two liters of water daily.
- Have purified water available at all times – at home or office.
- For children, always select beverages without carbonation or sugar, as this helps prevent childhood obesity.
In order to maximize the positioning of the key messages we make sure to include, in every targeted media communication, useful tips or ideas that help our audience make little changes for water conservation.
Raising awareness of water protection and conservation…
- Avoid wasting water by constantly reviewing your home and office pipes in order to detect on time possible pipe leaks.
- Take short showers.
- Do not dump oil or other substances down the drain.
- Use a glass of water while brushing your teeth.
- Use recycled water to clean the house or for plants and gardens.
- Use a low-water washing machine.
- Do not defrost fruit, vegetables or meat in water.
So, what are you doing to improve your health and preserve our planet?
1.Corcoran, E., C. Nellemann, E. Baker, R. Bos, D. Osborn, H. Savelli (eds). Sick Water? The central role of wastewater management in sustainable development. A Rapid Response Assessment. United Nations Environment Programme, 2010., UN-HABITAT, GRID. www.grida.no ISBN: 978-82-7701-075-5